Friday, April 18, 2008

My Name is Katie

Weezer is coming out with a new album. I can’t express how excited I am. I also can’t really explain why it makes me so happy. Maybe it is a validation of the music of my adolescence that the bands we loved then are still making new and interesting music. Whatever- not getting that deep today.
Except for seeing Prince last year(come on, it’s Prince), the best concert I ever saw was Weezer in 1995 at Liberty Lunch in Austin. It was the whole scene- relatively small club, the mosh pit, the close proximity to the stage, general admission only (God bless general admission- the concert equivalent of survival of the fittest- if you can’t take the heat get out of the pit). It was just one of those nights.
Weezer’s music is such a great combination of things- earnest lyrics, but with a sense of humor- “alternative rock” (whatever that means), but you can tell they listened to cheesy hair bands too- and to me, the sonic quality is so classic. If you were to play a Weezer song with just an acoustic guitar, it would be so lovely and melodic, with all the electric guitar and drums it still is, but it has that booming edge that makes it more intense. Marlon says you cannot listen to Weezer at a normal volume. You have to crank it up to get the full experience. (See why I married him!) Okay so my love poem to a band of over 30 rockers is done. Long live Rivers and company.

No comments: