Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Arty"


So, apparently, it is Miley Cyrus day as that is all over the news. As Johnny Galecki said on The View this morning when asked about the pictures, “ Is the war over or something? Distraction, hello!” Anyway, being that I have a Miley fan living in my house, I just have to say that, to me the picture itself is not terrible, but not a good idea either. It made me think of the time in 8th grade when me and the other Dobie Middle School cheerleaders thought it would be so funny to flash a camera with just our undies on underneath our cheerleader skirts. When I randomly mentioned it to my mother, she froze and began asking who took it, where was the picture now, etc. I was oblivious to why she would be so upset- “Nobody saw it, Mom! It was just us girls in there! You are so overreacting!” Now, I get it. To us it was innocent sillyness, but to the wrong perv that could get his hands on it, it was something much different. That naïveté kept us from seeing that a group of 12 and 13 year-old cheerleaders flashing their butts to the camera was waaaaay inappropriate. What I mean to say is that everyone involved in the shoot may have just meant them as “arty” or as a classic portrait (although I have my doubts that they didn’t want a bit of controversy), which in many ways it is. What it is to the wrong people is something sexual- to my 7 year-old, an excuse that immodesty is no big deal. You can’t just look at something from your perspective. Unfortunately, as a “role model” to some very young children, she and her family really needed to look at it from all angles. There’s my 2 cents. Now back to that whole Iraq thing…

1 comment:

minus five said...

it felt kind of gross even looking at that picture. b/c she's so young.

a friend of mine pointed out that leibovitz could have been making a statement about over-sexualizing these famous girls. about how sick it's gotten. i find that particular angle kind of awesome.

it's something i would have jumped at doing if i were leibovitz, but after people around me voicing their concerns over the ramifications and introducing other viewpoints, i would hope i would have backed off and done something else. who knows though--i've done a lot of dumb things because i didn't think things through well enough and because i never imagined my thoughts being misinterpreted.

i'm mostly surprised that the idea made its way through that many hands and checkpoints without somebody saying, "no."

and i feel sorry for miley because she was probably just following the advice of people who are paid to make decisions that are in her best interest.

if only she could say that she just "misspoke."