Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grrrrrr

I think I am going to have to stop reading the news (I am an internet girl) because it is seriously affecting my stress level. If it isn't Tea Partiers complaining that President Obama still hasn't found a church to attend (as if that is what he should be focusing on) it's people like Torry Hansen. She is the Tennessee woman who adopted a son from Russia and when things went haywire, sent him back. SENT HIM BACK!!!

I understand that it is obvious he had some psychological problems and she was scared. Any parent who sees their child having issues gets scared, but most of us don't put them on a plane to meet a COMPLETE STRANGER IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!! As I read yesterday, this child changed his life, language, country, etc. in a six month time period. How can you expect a normal reaction? Who goes from, "I was screwed over by this Russian orphanage and my son is going to be a much bigger challenge to raise," to "I should email some guy in Russia to pick him up at the airport and drop him off somewhere with a note." SERIOUSLY?!

I have never adopted a child, but I know people who have and they love these children as much (and sometimes maybe more) than if they had come from their own body. My brain cannot compute the "parent" that could so easily cast off a child. Even if she hated this kid- even if she was terrified of him, there are so many other options. Grrrrrrrrrr!

No comments: