Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Yum, I want some more


Ponder with me, for a moment, the importance of good hummus. Oh let me just break it down- it is like crack, people. Marlon has discovered a new talent in creating homemade hummus. It all started the other day when he was going to the store and I asked him to buy some hummus. It is my favorite snack and even though it probably isn’t, I have convinced myself it is healthier than other alternatives. So he calls me from our beloved HEB from among the “fancy people” food and asks if I can look up a recipe for hummus to check the ingredients. I do and there they are- chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt, olive oil- not difficult. After seeing the $3.50 price on the tiny package of the store’s version, he decided to make some. The first one was a basic recipe minus the tahini, plus feta cheese (makes it smell terrible while you are blending it, but tastes good) and extra garlic and salt. After chilling it, we started in on it. That large bowl full lasted 2 days, barely. The next one was made with tahini (it makes a big difference), spinach, garlic, etc. This one has been calling me minute by minute. I ate it for lunch today with wheat thins. Just that. That batch is not long for this world either.

I realized, though, that my favorite thing about this new culinary habit of Marlon’s is the way it started. Yes, some people could look at it from the standpoint of, “Well he just didn’t want to spend the money.” I, however, take a different view. My darling, misunderstood husband took a fact- his wife really wanted some hummus- and then made it his mission to get me some in the best possible way- more bang for the buck. (The homemade is also much better than the store bought, just FYI.) It is so small and probably seems stupid, but this is the kind of thing that I really want. I want those little daily reminders that he is listening to me. I think that is all anyone wants- to feel like what they putting out into the world isn’t in vain. Someone is listening and caring about what they say. To paraphrase Manny from “Modern Family”, my hummus is made with the added secret ingredient of caring. Yum- I am ready for some more.

1 comment:

kate said...

I am in LOVE with hummus, but my attempts at homemade never come out right. I can cook just about anything, but my hummus always needs more tang. And it always seems like I use too much tahini (comes out tasting too nutty).

Do you have any actual proportions/recipe that Marlon used? I know hummus is more of a method than recipe, but I'm always curious what amounts other people use in theirs...

And while my husband doesn't cook much, he makes a badass snack plate (cheese, olives, pickles, baguette/crackers, various small munchie-type things), and it always tastes better when he puts it all on the plate for me, instead of doing it myself!